Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

Friday's Devotion...warning this WILL step on your toes

Now I know this is not something I normally do but I was reading God's Word today and came across some things that hit pretty close to home and I wanted to share. 


Gossip
Watching our words and speech is a major theme in the Bible. Words have more power over us and others than we care to admit, so it's critical that what comes out of our mouths is praiseworthy. It is like my daddy always told me and I am sure many of your parents did is if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all! How wise our parents must have been. Who would have thought LOL! As I am growing older and now a parent myself I see that everything my parents did and said was for my own good and to make me into a better person. I honestly do not know any 2 people more Godly nor any better role models than my parents. You say I am biased and that my be the case, BUT I HAVE NEVER heard idol gossip come out of my dad's mouth in the 32 years I have been alive. Sure he is a Pastor, but how is he different than me? Words cut deeper and hurt more than any weapon anyone can use against us. With just a few words you can turn a whole crowd of people against one person! Words have started wars!  Reading James 3 reminded me that I need to watch what I say no matter how true something may be. Before I open my mouth to talk I am going to ask myself is what I am going to say praiseworthy or helpful in any way and if the answer is no then I am going to strive to bridle my tongue.

He that goeth about as a talebearer revealeth secrets: therefore meddle not with him that flattereth with his lips. Proverbs 20:19

It's no surprise that the Bible condemns lying, profane language, and other sins of speech. But it also clearly condemns gossip as a destructive sin in the same category. We're not only to refrain from gossip ourselves, but to steer clear of anyone who makes it a habit. 


James 3:1-9
 1My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation.
 2For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
 3Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.
 4Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.
 5Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
 6And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
 7For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
 8But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
 9Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.

According to James the tongue can defile your whole body! One word can make you look like a monster or an angle. A gossip or a Godly man or woman? What do you hear when you open your mouth to talk? He goes on to say that no man can tame the tongue and that it is evil and full of poison BUT since we were made in image of God that is the basis for not cursing someone out or talking about someone. I am a born again Christian saved by the grace of my wonderful God and one of my favorite verses in the bible says, "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live: yet not I, but Christ who liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me." Galatians 2:20 Since He lives in me I need to start giving Him control of EVERYTHING and ask myself before I speak, "will this praise Him?" I am NOT perfect and I will tell you now, I will mess up but I am going to strive everyday to make God proud of me and to honor Him in everything I do. It is the very least I can do after what He has done for me. 

Now the next 3 verses in James 3 hit really close to home as well. A lot of people call themselves Christians without really knowing what that word means. Christian means Christ-like! Did you know that? 
James 3: 10-12
10Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
 11Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?
 12Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.


Oh my did that step on my toes!!! The point of these verses is that a believer's tongue should not speak inconsistencies! In otherwords, you can't curse one minute and call yourself a Christian the next. I am guilty. I will admit it. I let the flesh take over and out come profanities. WHY???!!? How come me and other people think in order to get a point across you have to say nasty word? We don't people! Look at what happened to Christ and He NEVER cursed anyone or went to others and said, "do you know what this person did to me?"


Okay, I am done LOL! If I shut you down when you start talking about someone, DO NOT say you were not warned. Have a very blessed day and week end.

No comments: